Monday, February 21, 2005

Final Summarised Response to Critique

I shall share a bit of my personal experiences here (something that I try to refrain from doing, and rightly so), mainly invoked by HUICHIEH's and Olorin's assertation that perhaps there is a bit of 'personal issues' involved.

For reasons of security (and my own peace of mind), it is not possible for me to divulge my unit nor my rank. I do have a personal take on the SAF and for good reason. I won't go so far that I would go to the extent of betrayal or for that matter even 'chao keng' (I am PES A and have no intention of downgrading just for the sake of it). What happened during those days are over, and I do not wish to elaborate what happened as it is no longer consequential. All I will maintain is that while I proposed 'The 3 Mentalities', the irony is that for a good part of my army life I actually did not fall into any 'The 3 Mentalities', though I exited it with a Type 2 mentality, because I realised that there was no viable alternative other than the 3 Mentalities that I just proposed. HUICHIEH states that I generalise Type 2s without consideration for the fact that certain Type 2s 'could question (internally) all the time while recognizing there are inherent limits to what can and cannot be done or be changed in the short run.' I still maintain that such 'internal questioning' is still considered Type 2, unless one explicitly questioning the reasons during that time, which is tantamount to questioning a superior's command, which is not prudent as it may end one up in serious trouble (which I learnt). I would elaborate more but in the spirit of national security I feel it is not prudent to publish such facts in such an open environment.

What I can say is that it left me was a feeling of disillusionment, resentment, frustration, disappointment and betrayal (probably more extreme than most people, I hasten to add). Just as Olorin recognises the positive attitudes that many conscripts and reservists take, with himself as one good example, what I have taken notice is that there is a good number of people who can otherwise contribute so much to Singapore who feel negatively, with myself as one good example. And to make it clear it is not SAF but conscription that is the issue (whereas HUICHIEH focuses mainly on SAF's capabilities in general), although of course SAF and conscription are inextricably linked.

These 'negative' people, intolerant of such 'BS' (again, i qualify that what is BS to some may be Gold to others) may choose an escape route, migration. Quitter, whiner? No point stigmatising them. No matter how righteous souls feel that such people are detestable, many of these people are people we need because there is an evident lack of talent in Singapore. They may not be cut out for military life but it may be a totally different matter in Singapore civilian society. We need talent, we do not need to scare them away. Just as we are attracting foreign talent, we should not scare away our local talent.

I am not stating that SAF or conscription is absolutely useless. What I am saying is that there is a possibility that its importance may be overrated, and/or disproportionate to the sacrifices we make as a result of conscription. Definitely, there will be a risk, a trade off. But we are already risking disillusioning our talents who may be inclined not to stay on in Singapore and contribute to the economy. The trade-off for having conscription could be more costly than beneficial, both individually and collectively. Even if the qualification that the importance of conscription is overrated is rebuttable, it is not an automatic result that the scales will tilt back toward conscription's benefits rather than conscription costs. Where exactly does the scale lie? I cannot say for sure, but I offer a suggestion that perhaps it could way more in favour of Costs rather than Benefits.

Another issue I feel the need to address is the concept of 'security', and the expectation for me to offer 'revolutionary alternatives' to conscription. While the manner of my writing was perhaps suggestory I have repeatedly qualified in my statements that I am focusing on the 'perils' of conscription. The 'alternatives' I suggest are actually suggestions of lessening or eliminating the need for a conscripted force. Note that I encompass a wider definition of 'security' than that of pure military strength alone. Imho, economic, poltical and social circumstances play a big part in security as well. As HUICHIEH pointed out in one the earlier sections of his critique, social awareness of our defense situation indeed contributes to national security as well.

Let me give an analogy by way of a household. If there were people in the house, intruders would be deterred. Therefore it would be prudent to have people in the house (military force). Someone could choose to stay at home (volunteer). If no one wants to stay at home, then some will have to be grounded (conscription). A security alarm could be installed (technology). Or we could hire a security guard (mercenary). These are the military aspects of security.

Now, no doubt, if the house was located in a safe neighbourhood, we would similarly feel more secure (surrounding circumstances). If we did not depend on our neigbour for our groceries, we will feel more secure (self sustenance). If we did not continually pick petty quarrels with our neighbour, we would also feel that much more secure (diplomacy). These are non military aspects of security (there are more which I did not cover).

Gist of the 5 posts

Conscription has its benefits for the individual and the society. However, one cannot neglect to recognise that the costs for the individual and for collective society may weigh more than the benefits.

The essence of the posts were to weigh up the costs, and weigh down the benefits of conscription.

Most of the 'Counter-Critique' and 'Counter-Counter-Critique' can be found here.


9 Comments:

Blogger Huichieh said...

I've posted my final general thoughts on my blog. Not really a close "response" to you latest per se, just some concluding remarks to close the topic on my own blog, and linking to your latest post. I may continue to post comments (either here or on my own blogs in response to the comments left there) but I do not envision a new post anytime soon.

It's been good exchanging views with you. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. My only request: don't give up on Singapore just yet--it won't be some abstract thing that you are giving up, but ordinary folk such as myself.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Olorin said...

Hmmm.... I understand your position here clearer than what your earlier posts suggest.

Even with your analogy, however, I'm not entirely in agreement with everything you say, but it is 11.05pm now and I have had a loooooooong day so I will leave it for another time, on another day if you are still interested in pursuing the issue.

I just wanted to thank you for clarifying your position. I appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I read through your posts and must say that you articulate your thoughts really well. It makes me feel so envious!

But I shall not touch on these topic since I took a vow regarding most Singaporean matters and fulfillment of this vow requires vast amounts of self-censorship and apathy.

Instead, I would just like to comment on the issue regarding 'learning' from our NS experience. As an economist-wannabe first and an NSF second, this issue interests me.

You mentioned that the experience they gain in the army is either inapplicable or possible to pick up elsewhere. Most officers will tell you that you learn great life skills in the army.

I feel that such claims can be easily measured by looking at the difference of starting salaries of someone who has served NS, and a person who served two years in the private sector (e.g. females).

I feel that the labor market does provide a good gauge of the value of the army experience as a job-training platforms. The opportunity cost can thus be measured.

My Thoughts
www.Oikono.com

2:35 AM  
Blogger redrown said...

Thanks for your kind words. I have clicked on your site and it is a good one!

Actually, I never sought to be a commentator per se on Singaporean matters but rather just air my thoughts out on issues that matter to me, but I guess the furore over my posts on conscription didn't hurt, as it was kept at a healthy level.

About the fact that males who went through NS having higher starting salaries than females, I never thought of it in such terms. I thought it was more of a 'compensatory' move for males whose peers have had a 2 year headstart in their career. I do vaguely recall the issues of unequal starting pay being unfair to women being raised a while back.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote: "I do vaguely recall the issues of unequal starting pay being unfair to women being raised a while back...."

I seriously do not see how it is unfair considering that they would normally have pay increments way above what NS men get for their 'compensation'. I guess it would be more accurate to look at MNCs starting salaries for these people as stat boards and ministries will obviously be more motivated by 'compensation'.

Regards

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That said, I must say that the valuation given to the army experience makes the officers' claims laughable.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that swinging began can emerge entire existing bar atmosphere Looking ahead similar format One notable the host may hold events


[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/40somethingmag.net.html]40somethingmag.net[/url]
[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/420gallery.com.html]420gallery.com[/url]
[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/5up.net.html]5up.net[/url]
[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/69galls.com.html]69galls.com[/url]
[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/69rulz.com.html]69rulz.com[/url]
[url=http://adultosites.webmelia.com/700xxx.com.html]700xxx.com[/url]

sex slaves While revolution of recent or consent laws a major part of in the 20th century not protect against the laws requiring minors

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home