Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Conscription Part 1/5: The 3 Mentalities

Every Singaporean male has to be enlisted in the army so that he 'can serve his duty to his country'. While this is superficially a fair and noble cause, the sacrifices that the Singaporean male goes through is often overlooked, taken for granted, because it is his 'duty', something every boy goes through. In fact, many of the boys themselves think likewise.

There are generally three attitudes which enlisted boys take when going through their army days, using colloquialisms, (1)'siao on' (taking a gung-ho and positive attitude towards excelling in army (2)'lan lan' (taking an attitude that it is something that has to be done and got over with), (3)'chao keng' (taking an attitude that this is something that is horrible and should be avoided at all costs, resorting to malingering)

The first type can be subdivided into two types:(a) The high flyers, those that top their company in every aspect, ending up in OCS with the Sword of Honour, etc. These are usually competent and capable people in civil life also so it is just their nature to be good at what they do. (b) Those who think that to serve his country is an honour and a duty, an act of patriotism, an opportunity to prove their love for their nation. These people are usually righteous and fanatical and hate it when others skive. Those who take it upon themselves to do something better than others just so as to impress their superior, even if it is not required nor requested, just to show their patriotism. Those who use rank as an excuse to extol their bigoted mentalities. While this could be laudable it can also be abrasive.

The second type are those who serve army, do things for the sake of doing although realising the futility of doing such tasks. Basically, just grinning and bearing through the times. Most do things blindly without giving much thought to why they are doing it. They do not question why they are doing the things they do. Such mindlessness dulls even the sharpest of brains and since the large proportion of conscripts fall within this category, this may cause an irreversible damage to a conscript's ability to think and adapt for himself once he is out in the civil world again. Just ask the countless undergraduates who have just passed out of army to return to university.

The third type are the type that all superiors detest. These people fear the regimental nature of army life and will do anything to avoid it. Sick leave, a popular escape route even in civil Singapore, is the most common method. Some make minor injuries into major downgradable disabilities. These lot feel that they do not need to subject themselves to such a life if there is another route out. What they fail to realise is that this route is usually equally strenous, and may even backfire, since they will become sitting ducks should they fail.

Whichever mentality a boy chooses when he enters army, it is undoubted that by the end of the 2 years, there is much change in him. Not necessarily positive, not necessarily instantly noticeable to the subjects and his family/friends.

________________________________________________________
Part 2: Social Anomalies as a result of Conscription
Part 3: Are opinions on conscription divided by sex?
Part 4: Is National Service really a service to our land?
Part 5: Are there alternate avenues to conscription?

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very wrong....

most people i know went in with ur Type 1 mentality, but then changed to Type 2 mentality, and eventually ORD with Type 3 mentality.

You don't seem to know much.. Are you an officer?

11:51 PM  
Blogger redrown said...

I have mentioned the 3 mentalities but I did not imply that a person cannot or does not change mentality type through the course of his NS, and so how is that wrong? I guess its the way you read it.

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to agree with you. Went in with a type 1 and leaving with a semi-type 2 soon. Type 3 is really detestable. Some of my men are like that but as long as you provide the ample reward (read: day off), they're willing to do anything.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sub-type b of type 1 seems to be two different attitudes mashed together to form one. as far as i know, there are the righteous who will do NS in the line of duty, but do not attempt to overdo themselves such that they sacrificing more than is necessary. and there are the ones that seriously suck up to their superiors. the latter should be type c.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that's amazing!

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on florida home loan ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to loan matters and florida home loan with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.homeloansnationwide.com/Directory

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my friend! This is a good blog. I just got back home from shopping with the wife and decided to log in and do some internet surfing.(needed some time to myself if you know what I mean) I came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Not many people keep their blogs up to date and most of the blogs I do fine are not even relevant to the blog topic. I bookmarked your blog for future use.
Anyways keep up the awesome work and if you don�t mind I will forward your blog off to a few of my buddies. Thanks a bunch!cheap health insurance in florida

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. You may be interested in living better debt consolidation refinance http://thehomemortgageguide.com Need Information on purchasing a home? debt consolidation refinance

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on free mortgage calculator I somehow ended up on your page. As your described site is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about free mortgage calculator, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't some motivational speakers just the best? They get you so hyped up and excited. It's just so hard to do it on my own. Like I could get my head totally wrapped around Home mortgage calculator uk, but trying to get myself motivated just doesn't seem to work. Hmmmm, maybe one day I'll get it when a light bulb just goes off inside my head.
Home mortgage calculator uk

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if I'll ever find my mate in life. Do you think it's possible. I know I could be talking to a lot of people out there, but I want some opinions here. Like I was out doing some research on dating and I clicked on this one web link that took me to a site about Uk mortgage interest rates. I got derailed from my original topic at hand and then finally had to backtrack to figure out that I was still looking for something about dating so I could find my ideal mate. Dang, I get distracted.
Uk mortgage interest rates

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever sat there thinking about something like Mortgage in uk and then wanted to find a site about it, but you cannot? Well, I've just found that site for you. It is right here in this blog post. It is right there, and ALL the right information will appear before your eyes. Trust me, you are gonna love this, for sure.
Mortgage in uk

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey how are you doing? just letting you know that someone from Central America read your blog!
This is my site:
free web site hosts
Regards,
Charles

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging is not always a rewarding journey, but I ran across yours on this trip and it was a good break from my own real estate work. Thanks. Keep up the interesting work and visit my site if you have a chance.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my auto insurance quotes for ohio site.
Have a great week!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my automobile insurance performance ratings site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automobile insurance points in texas site.
Have a great week!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a wisconsin farmer market
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a bad credit equity line
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a bad credit lease
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my caa travel insurance site.
Have a great week!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my caa travel insurance site.
Have a great week!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my california car insurance site.
Have a great week!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit mortgage approval site.
Have a great week!

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit mortgage approval site.
Have a great week!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home